dimanche 28 octobre 2012

Artist Gushing

From the way that we talked about Frederick Varley in class, I took a liking to him. Every now and then there's an artist who does that to me, seducing me by what I imagine them to be like.

He loved to live. He loved people, he loved to drink, he loved women. He sounded like a lot of fun. It all makes for a compelling tale, which really, is all that he is to me. His portraits are beautifully charismatic, his use of colour is lush and emotional. He made mistakes, he was depressive, struggled with alcoholism and entertained a mistress later in life. But all in all, he seems very human to me and I relate to him.

Cheesy music aside, here's an interesting film on Varley by the National Film Board.

Self-Portrait (1919) by Varley

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire