dimanche 30 septembre 2012

A Furry of Information

Last class, we went to the library for a Fine Art and Art History research information session. I don't have much to say about the actual research skills we were shown, because although very useful, it was all fairly cut and dry: mainly using JSTOR, Art Index and Pro Quest.

However, it got me thinking about our current information networks... in other words, about the wonders of the internet! What could be interesting, for art history journal bloggers, would be to be given each other's blog adresses. After all, creations in general are just different amalgamations of things that already exist! And in all classes, I keep wishing I could read my classmate's writings.

It was stumbling onto Bonny's blog that made me think of it (although I think she has switched classes now). Every now and then Bonny and I will have conversations about life and art in Eastern Asia and through her latest post, I've just found out about the mid-moon festival, and overall, about the Moon Festival.

Snow skin mooncakes, also known as ice skin mooncakes.
The Moon Festival (also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, the Lantern Festival, the Mooncake Festival or the Zhongqiu Festival) is a harvest festival like the North American Thanksgiving.

Without the internet, this vast network of information (whether true or false), how would I know this? Sure, by asking Bonny more questions, but would I really have left my appartement before Salsa class on this rainy Sunday afternoon? Probably not. It is no question or debate how information is more accessible now than ever (like on Pro Quest, JSTOR and Art Info), I'm just thinking about it a whole lot. That and mooncakes.

Also, check out some awesome music on The Silk Road Project.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire